Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
Home / Visas / Employer Sponsored Visas
/ Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
482 Visa Migration Agent Based in Adelaide
Call our migration agents now on (08) 8155 6062.
Assisting Migrants Receive Their 482 Visa
Copson Migration is a registered migration agent located in Adelaide who help migrants receive their 457/482 employer sponsored visa.
The subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa is a temporary visa requiring sponsorship by an employer in Australia. An employer can sponsor an employee for up to 2 or 4 years depending on the stream type.
There are three parts in the application process
1) the employer needs to apply to become an Approved Sponsor (through a Standard Business Sponsorship or by negotiating a Labour Agreement);
2) the employer Nominates a position; and
3) the employee applies for a Visa.
Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS)
As an approved Standard Business Sponsor, the company is able to nominate a number of positions during the sponsorship period. The standard SBS is valid for up to 5 years. In order to be approved as a sponsor, the business must be able to show;
- It is lawfully operating in Australia; and
- It has been actively operating in Australia.
In addition, there are ongoing obligations and commitments that an approved SBS is required to uphold to adhere to during the sponsorship and while 482 visa holders are employed. This includes notifying the Department of Home Affairs regarding changes and maintaining proper records.
The Labour Agreement allows an employer to employ workers who have concessions of skills, English language or pay. The process involves lengthy negotiations with the Department of Home Affairs and other stakeholders and a limit is placed on the numbers of positions that can be nominated and the occupations they can be nominated in.
If the occupation appears on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List ( MLTSSL ) the linked visa can be granted for 4 years, with multiple renewals and a pathway to permanent residency. If it appears on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List ( STSOL ) list the visa can only be granted for 2 years, with one onshore renewal and no pathway to permanent residency.
You can have a look at the lists here
The employer must also be able to demonstrate;
- The position is genuine and fits into the scope of the business;
- The position may have caveats attached to the nominated occupation;
- They have conducted Labour Market Testing by advertising the position;
- The pay (exclusive of superannuation) is equivalent to the Annual Market Salary Rate, has the same terms and conditions of employment as Australian employees, and is guaranteed at least $53,900 per annum (Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold).
- The nominating employer will need to pay a training levy into the Skilling Australia Fund (SAF)
Skilling Australia Fund (SAF)
The SAF has been established for employers wishing to nominate overseas workers to pay a training levy to the Commonwealth Government.
The SAF is as follows:
Business Turnover $10 million or more $1,800 per year payable at time of nomination;
Business Turnover of less than $10 million $1,200 per year payable at time of nomination.
The visa applicant must prove that they have the relevant qualifications and/or work experience to work in the nominated occupation. In some cases, they may be required to provide a skill assessment. The applicant also must be able to show that they;
- Have at least Vocational English language skills, unless exempt;
- Hold private health insurance unless they are covered by a reciprocal health care arrangement;
- Meet all necessary health and character requirements
The 482 visa is valid for up to 2 or 4 years and has a condition that states that the holder can only work for the sponsoring employer. If employment ceases with the sponsor then the holder has 60 days to find a new sponsor and transfer their visa to the new sponsor, lodge a new visa application, or to depart Australia.
For more information, please contact the 482 visa agents at Copson Migration Adelaide, today.
Pathway to Permanent Residency
If an employee has been working in the same occupation listed in the MLTSSL, with the same employer for at least 3 years the 482 visa holder may apply under a Temporary Residence Transition stream for a permanent employer sponsored visa.
If you have any further enquiries, please contact the 482 visa migration agents at Copson Migration on +61 (0) 8 8155 6062.
Stay up to date with latest migration news.